If you’re expecting and you care about the thought: avocado during pregnancy. You will find a lot of beneficial information on that topic, as well as tips, guidance, opinions, and answers to questions in relation to pregnant state, right nutrition and diet plans.
Reviewed and approved by the doctor Maricela Jiménez López on April 03, 2021.
Last update: April 03, 2021
There are fruits and vegetables that promote the proper development of pregnancy , and one of them is avocado. In the following lines you will find some of the benefits of consuming avocado during pregnancy.
The avocado or avocado is a vegetable and fruit that is harvested from the tree called avocado. This fruit takes between five and seven years to bear for the first time, then it is constantly harvested.
Types of avocados
Avocado has a flavor similar to hazelnut. Its texture is creamy and has a lot of fiber, although it varies depending on the type of avocado. They grow in the shape of a pear, apple or cucumber and the edible part is yellowish in color and has a seed. It is an ideal companion for meals.
This fruit or vegetable should be eaten when it is ripe. The moment of maturation is known when, when palpating the avocado, it feels soft or when it is shaken it is heard that the seed is loose.
Consuming avocado has many benefits both for pregnant women and for mothers who are breastfeeding.
Benefits of consuming avocado in pregnancy
Thus, there are several benefits to consuming this food, among which we can mention the following.
1. Proteins and the benefits of consuming avocado in pregnancy
Avocado contains proteins that help in the baby’s development process.
2. Consuming avocado in pregnancy prevents anemia
Due to its high iron content, it helps increase the production of red blood cells , preventing anemia due to lack of iron, which decreases when the woman is pregnant.
3. Consuming avocado in pregnancy maintains potassium levels
According to experts from the Spanish Nutrition Foundation, avocado contains monounsaturated fatty acids, unsaturated fatty acids, potassium. Thus, during pregnancy it is common for potassium levels to drop, which is why consuming avocado helps to keep these levels stable and in this way avoid leg cramps and colic .
4. Consuming avocado in pregnancy increases vitamin B6 levels
Eating avocado in the first meal of the day reinforces the consumption of vitamin B6, which helps prevent nausea during pregnancy , in addition to promoting embryonic development as it is involved in the replication of genetic material .
5. Consuming avocado in pregnancy increases the levels of vitamins D and E
This fruit contains vitamins D and E, which reduce the dryness of the skin. Consuming avocado also helps in the treatments for psoriasis and dermatitis among other diseases
Likewise, according to evidence from this study published in the International Journal of Molecial Science , maintaining adequate levels of vitamin E is related to prevention of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s strong>.
6. Consume avocado in pregnancy and omega 9
Omega 9 fatty acids are healthy fats that keep low-density cholesterol (LDL) levels at bay. The best way to obtain the benefits of consuming avocado in pregnancy is to include it in snacks , salads and smoothies. Here is an easy recipe to prepare.
Recipe with avocado for pregnant women
Quesadillas with pico de gallo
Preparation for 2 people.
Ingredients for the tortillas
- 8 tortillas = 378 grams.
- 1 avocado = 500 grams .
- 8 mushrooms = 300 grams.
- 1 branch of fresh coriander cut = 25 grams.
- ½ cup of oil = 75 milliliters.
- 2 cups of grated yellow cheese = 300 grams .
- ½ cup of sauce with spices = 75 milliliters.
Ingredients for the pico de gallo
- 1 tomato = 50 grams .
- ½ onion = 30 grams.
- 1 branch of fresh coriander cut = 25 grams .
- 3 teaspoon of oil = 15 milliliters.
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice = 30 milliliters.
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper = what you can take with your fingertips.
Preparation of the tortillas
- Slice the avocado and mushrooms into thin slices .
- In a tray, place 4 tortillas, then place the sliced avocado.
- On top of the avocado, place the sliced mushrooms, a handful of grated cheese and the chopped cilantro.
- To finish the assembly of the quesadillas, add oil and sauce to taste.
- Put another tortilla to close the quesadilla.
- In a previously heated pan, place the quesadilla so that the cheese melts and the tortillas are browned on both sides.
- Then, put them on a plate and cut them into 4 parts.
Preparation of pico de gallo
- In a bowl, put the tomato, onion, coriander, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper .
- Mix everything to create a salad .
- If you wish, you can add more oil or lemon juice.
Once the quesadillas and the pico de gallo are ready, all you have to do is serve and sit down to taste this easy and delicious recipe; In addition to taking advantage of the benefits of avocado in pregnancy, it is a delicious meal . It can be accompanied with a rich iced tea for warmth or with an infusion in times of cold.
Therefore, the benefits of consuming avocado in pregnancy are very favorable, in addition to being a food that can be eaten alone or with other foods. You can also take it in smoothies combined with fruits.
We hope you have achieved all the details in relation to: avocado during pregnancy. Keep your feedback and talk about your impressions and opinions related to: avocado during pregnancy. We are always ready to answer all your questions with regards to pregnant state, healthy eating and diets. Stay with us!