When you are currently pregnant and you have an interest in the question: grapefruit juice during pregnancy. You will find numerous useful info on this specific topic, as well as tips, assistance, opinions, and answers to help questions in relation to having a baby, suitable nutrition and diet programs.
Pregnancy is a time of strange tastes and weirder cravings. While you may not like oranges or citrus fruits, pregnancy has been known to alter your taste and make you crave those fruits.
If you crave some grapefruit while pregnant, but aren’t sure about the safety of consuming it, read our post below.
What is grapefruit?
Grapefruit is a citrus fruit. Native to Southeast Asian countries, grapefruit is now available in most parts of the world. Grapefruit is slightly larger than a grapefruit, and the flesh is white, yellow, pink, or red. The skin of the fruit is green or yellow, and the fruit is sweet and acidic in taste (1). The white variety has a milder flavor than the pink grapefruit (2).
It is one of the lesser known citrus fruits. But when it comes to nutrition, it packs all the punch of its citrus cousins like oranges, grapefruit, and tangerines. Grapefruit is also known as Chinese grapefruit (3).
(Read: Grapefruit during pregnancy )
Health benefits of grapefruit during pregnancy:
All citrus fruits contain almost the same nutrients with different differences in their% DV (Daily Value). So you can get similar benefits if you eat an orange, grapefruit, or grapefruit. An example of the difference in their nutritional components can be the antioxidant compounds found in different varieties of citrus. Here are some health benefits of grapefruit fruit during pregnancy:
- All citrus fruits, including grapefruit, are good sources of folic acid. Lack of folic acid during pregnancy can increase the risk of fetal birth defects (4).
- Grapefruit is a great source of vitamin C. Pregnant women need at least 85 mg of this essential nutrient every day (5). Consuming fresh grapefruit fruit or its juice is a great way to meet your vitamin C requirements during pregnancy. You can also add variety to your citrus food sources during your pregnancy. Vitamin C also protects against cold infections and strengthens the immune system. As an antioxidant, vitamin C also protects your cells.
- Grapefruit is also a good source of other antioxidants such as lycopene found in its pink / red varieties (6).
- Grapefruit is also a good source of fiber. Regular consumption of grapefruit and other citrus fruits can provide you with healthy fiber and therefore alleviate a common pregnancy problem such as constipation (7).
- Grapefruit is a good source of potassium and calcium. Potassium keeps your muscles and nerves healthy. It also helps maintain normal blood pressure (8). You can also eat grapefruit to meet your body’s increasing calcium requirements during pregnancy (9).
(Read: Oranges during pregnancy )
Is it safe to eat grapefruit during pregnancy?
Eating grapefruit and other citrus fruits during pregnancy is considered safe. However, there are some concerns with citrus consumption that you should discuss with your doctor.
- Vitamin C in more than the recommended doses can cause certain side effects such as diarrhea and kidney stones. If, during your pregnancy, you notice side effects like nausea, stomach cramps, and heartburn after consuming foods rich in vitamin C like grapefruit, share your concerns with your doctor. Consuming too much vitamin C can also harm the fetus (10). It is a water soluble vitamin, which means that your body does not store excessive amounts of vitamin C. But if you notice any side effects during your pregnancy as mentioned above, be careful to consult your doctor about it (11). li>
- Certain active ingredients found in grapefruit and other citrus fruits like grapefruit can interact with medications for cancer and heart conditions. An example is the furanocoumarins found in grapefruit (12). Talk to your doctor about consuming citrus fruits during pregnancy if you are being treated for any of these conditions.
(Read: Fruits to eat during pregnancy )
So if your doctor approves of grapefruit in your diet, consider eating it. Did you eat grapefruit during pregnancy? Did you suffer any side effects after consuming grapefruit? Please share your experience with our readers. Leave a comment below.
Comments are moderated by MomJunction’s editorial team to remove any personal, abusive, promotional, provocative or irrelevant comments.We can also remove hyperlinks in comments.
The next two tabs change the content below. Momjunction Momjunction FaceBook Pinterest Twitter Incnut
Hopefully you have received all the details related to: grapefruit juice during pregnancy. Keep your comments and share your perception and thoughts regarding: grapefruit juice during pregnancy. We are always available to answer all your questions with regards to maternity, healthy eating and diets. Stay with us!