If you are currently pregnant and you are interested in the thought: grapes during pregnancy 2nd trimester. You will find numerous helpful material on this topic, as well as tips, assistance, ideas, and answers to questions about pregnancy, right nutrition and diets.
Article has been verified to ensure the highest possible accuracy (content includes links to reputable media sites, academic research institutions, and occasionally medical studies). All the content of our website has been reviewed, however, if you consider that our content is inaccurate, outdated or doubtful, you can contact us to make the necessary corrections.
Written and verified by doctor Mario Benedetti Arzuza on January 20, 2021.
Last update: January 20, 2021
Eating grapes in pregnancy regularly, like other fruits with high nutritional value, within a balanced diet, has multiple health benefits. Its nutrients provide part of what is necessary for that all systems work properly and this promotes well-being on a daily basis.
It is well known that when a woman is pregnant, she can have cravings throughout the day. These cravings can be very varied, but almost all of them come to be treats. In order not to fall into a nutritional imbalance, in these cases, health professionals usually recommend the intake of fruits , nuts and other foods.
The grape is one of the most recommended fruits since it has a slightly sweet taste, a pleasant texture and, also, a small size that invites you to take portions, as if it were popcorn. And like other fruits, it can be taken natural, in juices, smoothies, smoothies, etc.
Benefits of eating grapes in pregnancy
There are several benefits of eating grapes in pregnancy. It is mainly due to the nutrients it provides for a good pregnancy. However, it is important to ask the specialist if in our specific case we can ingest this fruit and in what quantities.
Eating grapes in pregnancy prevents anemia
This rich fruit is ideal to eat during pregnancy as it helps prevent anemia . This is due to its iron content, since due to the state of pregnancy we may not be able to ingest iron as medicine. Thus, by consuming grapes and other foods high in the mineral, we can provide the body with the amounts it needs.
Eating grapes during pregnancy helps to take care of the skin and hair
Frequent consumption of grapes during pregnancy is good, since this fruit has a high water content that helps hydrate the skin and can give hair shine. This can help the expectant mother to look better.
Eating grapes during pregnancy prevents tiredness and fatigue
The amount of phosphorus provided by the consumption of this fruit helps minimize tiredness and fatigue . Both are common ailments in expectant mothers.
And it is precisely a deficiency in this mineral that can cause poor appetite, chronic fatigue, etc. This is due to the fact that phosphorus is involved in numerous processes such as cellular energy or the constitution of the cell membrane. Therefore, it is a fundamental mineral for the body, especially in times of growth, pregnancy, etc.
Eating grapes in pregnancy helps high blood pressure
The potassium and antioxidant content of this fruit helps to maintain normal blood pressure values, according to a study published in the Journal of Clinicas Hypertension . This is because a deficiency of this mineral can promote sodium retention, which could lead to hypertension. Therefore, it is very important not to neglect its intake during pregnancy.
In addition, we must pay attention to tension during pregnancy since it tends to vary during it. Thus, in some cases what is known as pre-eclampsia could occur. This is a stress disorder that usually goes away after pregnancy, but can become serious if left unchecked.
Eating grapes in pregnancy improves digestion
The B vitamins and sodium in grapes benefit pregnant women. These nutrients promote digestion.
Thus the B vitamins can help you better process carbohydrates and fatty acids . For its part, sodium participates in the absorption of certain fatty acids. Therefore, it can help women in the digestion process and feel less bloated.
Eating grapes during pregnancy has diuretic effects
The fruit of the vine is good to consume during pregnancy, since it has diuretic properties that help to eliminate fluids and waste substances (through urine) that can make damage to the body.
This is also possible thanks to its antioxidant and water content, which help stimulate the urinary system.
Eating grapes during pregnancy helps to take care of certain organs
Many diets include grapes because consumption serves to purify some organs, especially the liver . And, as mentioned above, grapes are an excellent diuretic. It also contains resveratrol, a substance that has been shown to improve heart health.
Now that you know some benefits of grapes, we leave you an easy recipe to prepare with grapes. This can be perfect for expectant mothers. Take aim!
Rustic grape and cinnamon cake
This cake is a good option for those craving moments. And it is that with a small portion you will be satisfied and it is made with healthy grapes.
Ingredients (for 6 people)
To make the dough
- 1 egg (60 g).
- ¼ cup of flour.
- 1 cup butter (250 g).
- ½ cup of sugar (125 g).
- 1 teaspoon of yeast (10 g).
- 2 pinches of cinnamon = what can be taken with the fingertips.
For the preparation of the filling
- ½ cup of grapes.
- 1 stick of cinnamon.
- 1 tablespoon of sugar (10 g).
- Zest of the skin of a lemon (10 g).
- Before starting, it is important to preheat the oven to 180ºC
Preparation of the dough
- First, mix the butter, flour and sugar.
- Then, knead for eight minutes or until it forms a large, uniform ball.
- Next, divide the dough into two equal parts and reserve half in the fridge.
- To the other half of the dough, add the egg and yeast. Then knead for a while until it no longer sticks to your fingers.
- Next, put a parchment paper and roll the dough to form the base of the cake.
- Finally, let it rest while you prepare the filling.
Preparation of the filling
- In a container, place the sugar, the cinnamon stick, the lemon zest and the water.
- Then cook over low heat until reduced by half.
- While you wait for the mixture to turn into a syrup, cut the grapes in half and remove the seeds.
- When the syrup is done, add the grapes and cook for a few minutes until they are soft.
- Then, remove the excess water, remove the cinnamon stick and add the preparation in the dough that is already stretched.
- Next, take out the dough you reserved in the fridge and spread it over the filling until everything is covered.
- Lastly, bake for about 35 minutes or until the top layer is golden brown.
The rustic cinnamon grape cake is ready. Bon appetit!
Before making the cake, it is important to ask the specialist if you can consume cinnamon. Every pregnant woman has different conditions. There is evidence that this spice is antidiabetic, but not all pregnant women do well.
The grape, a beneficial fruit
Finally, the grape is a very complete fruit since it has vitamins, minerals and water , among others. Hence, the importance of ingesting it in pregnancy. However, it is advisable to consult your nutritionist about our specific case.
Also, remember that it is also highly recommended to follow a balanced diet and monitor your health. Take good care of yourself!
Did you know that you can grow grapes at home? With a little effort and care, we teach you how to plant and enjoy these delicious fruits.
- Chmielewski J, Carmody JB. Dietary sodium, dietary potassium, and systolic blood pressure in US adolescents. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2017 Sep; 19 (9): 904-909.
- Xia N, Daiber A, Förstermann U, Li H. Antioxidant effects of resveratrol in the cardiovascular system. Br J Pharmacol. 2017 Jun; 174 (12): 1633-1646.
- Leach MJ, Kumar S. Cinnamon for diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012
Written and verified by doctor Mario Benedetti Arzuza on January 20, 2021.
We hope you have achieved every piece of information related to: grapes during pregnancy 2nd trimester. Leave your reviews and show your impressions and views about: grapes during pregnancy 2nd trimester. We are constantly ready to answer all your questions with regards to pregnant state, healthy eating in addition to diets. Stay with us!