When you are expecting a baby and you actually have an interest in the question: pizza during first trimester. You will see a lot of important info on this particular topic, as well as tips, guidance, ideas, and answers for you to questions concerning having a baby, appropriate nutrition and diets.
Pizza is a popular snack, enjoyed by almost all age groups. But is it safe to have pizza while pregnant? Due to the cravings pregnant women experience during this crucial period, this question makes sense. Delicious, hot, and fiery pizza can always be tempting. But when you think about eating that slice of pizza, understand its effect on your health, because now it is not you; Your baby’s health is important too.
Can pregnant women eat pizza?
The question that can really bother a pregnant woman who loves pizza is: “Is pizza safe during pregnancy?” Well, pizza is in the junk food category, which is by no means a recommended diet option for pregnant women, considering the calories and harmful effects of wheat flour that can affect your health and growth. your fetus. But in case the pizza is bought from a good pizza brand, which has some well-maintained quality standards, it is safe to consume it occasionally.
There is also a belief that eating pizza can improve people’s moods and even has the ability to make them happier. But if you are eating pizza while pregnant, prefer to customize your pizza toppings with more veggies and less cheese. Not only will this help you serve your temptations well, it will also help you consume the necessary nutrients. Also, it is best to eat pizza during the first trimester of pregnancy, as after that, you will need nutrient-dense foods rather than junk food.
Are there any benefits of pizza in pregnancy?
Speaking of the benefits of pizza during pregnancy, we’ve listed a few to consider:
- Pizza is classified as a comfort food item, which can directly or indirectly cheer you up.
- Pizza can provide some of the nutrients and vitamins required when fresh vegetables or salads are added.
- It can help quell your cravings and may not hurt if the pizza is freshly made and served hot.
- Top your pizza with high-quality sauces that contain vitamins A and C. Tomato sauces contain the antioxidant lycopene, which in turn helps reduce the chances of cancer.
- Selecting a thin crust pizza crust that is high in fiber can be beneficial.
- Prefer to top your pizza with part-skim mozzarella cheese, as it has the ability to provide bone-building calcium and some protein as well.
What are the harmful effects of eating pizza during pregnancy?
Pizza has more harmful effects than benefits. Here are some harmful effects that a slice of pizza carries:
- Certain cheese contains bacteria that ripen with mold, such as Danish blue, Camembert, or Brie, which contains listeria. These bacteria can cause a rare illness with flu-like symptoms.
- Putting lots of cheese on top of your pizza can lead to high calorie intake which, in turn, could lead to weight gain.
- Eating pizza can also cause heartburn or problems with the digestive system.
- Covering your pizza with pepperoni can be harmful as it contains saturated fat. These fats are not good for heart health and when eaten in excess they can also cause gestational diabetes.
- If your pizza is raw, undercooked or heated, which is generally the case with raw meat toppings like salami, chorizo, or pepperoni, it can lead to an infectious disease called toxoplasmosis.
How to eat pizza safely during pregnancy?
Eating pizza safely during pregnancy is important to ensure the health of you and your baby.
- Eat only pizza that is well cooked and warmed up, as heat helps kill most bacteria that certain toppings may contain.
- Try and order pizza only from well-known brands, as they offer good quality and healthy pizza.
- Eat the pizza fresh, as when it is eaten later, it leads to the reform of bacteria.
- In case you like your pizza topped with meat or seafood, make sure it is well cooked.
- She prefers to cover her pizza with vegetables, as they contain essential nutrients that a pregnant woman needs.
- Eating pizza during the second trimester of pregnancy should be avoided to some extent.
- It is recommended to eat only one or two slices of pizza, as it is a balanced option than eating a whole one.
- Refrain from eating pizza topped with cold cured meats.
- Refrain from eating pizza topped with moldy aged cheese, such as brie, camembert or Danish blue, as they contain listeria bacteria.
- It’s best to top your pizza with Parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese. These are hard cheese options that contain less water, leading to less chance of microbial formation.
We realize that pizza is a tempting food, but it should be avoided to some extent during pregnancy. However, if you are a pizza lover and cannot control your cravings, there is not much harm in eating a hot pizza occasionally. Consider consuming your slice of pizza with the safest ways mentioned above in mind. Eating happily!
We hope you have received all the information in relation to: pizza during first trimester. Leave your feedback and discuss your perception and ideas concerning: pizza during first trimester. We are constantly ready to answer all your questions concerning pregnancy, healthy eating and diets. Stay with us!