If you are expecting a baby and you actually are interested in the thought: watermelon during pregnancy. You will see lots of beneficial facts on this kind of topic, as well as tips, advice, thoughts, and answers to help questions in relation to pregnancy, appropriate nutrition and diet habits.
During pregnancy, the body needs a greater contribution of energy to carry out the processes successfully, for this reason the intake of proteins, vitamins and minerals should be necessary. increase, to meet the changes that occur at this stage.
If you follow the recommendations and follow healthy eating habits, the chances are that you will not have problems with the development of the pregnancy, consequently your baby. will grow adequately. If you adopt a nutritional plan, it will be It is possible to meet the caloric needs you need, this can be achieved successfully with the contribution of the food you eat. In the following paraBaby article we will tell you, if you can eat watermelon in pregnancy.
Is eating watermelon in pregnancy bad?
Watermelon is a fruit that provides nutrients to our body , serves to refresh on hot days and, when eating it during pregnancy, many benefits are obtained. During this stage, one of the doctors’ recommendations is to increase the intake of vitamins, to guarantee the proper development of the baby, with watermelon it is possible to achieve this. This food naturally provides multiple components, which contribute to the formation of organs and systems, as well; as well as the adequate progress of the gestation. For these and many other reasons, which we will mention later, pregnant women can eat watermelon without problems.
Properties of watermelon in pregnancy
What are the properties of watermelon? If you eat watermelon in pregnancy, your body will experiment. favorable changes, thanks to its high content of minerals and nutrients, among which are the following:
It is a necessary element for the body to function properly, it has the function of helping to form hemoglobin, an important molecule that allows oxygen to be integrated into the cells of the body. This means that it must be included in the diet, to guarantee adequate oxygenation of the tissues . If pregnant women consume watermelon, the risks of suffering anemic pictures decrease, lower the probability of premature birth and also, help to form and strengthen the muscles of the baby.
Provides vitamin C
This vitamin is a powerful antioxidant , which helps in the production of molecules that strengthen the immune system, so its consumption is useful to prevent infections.
Vitamins of complex B
Watermelon is a cocktail of B complex vitamins, within its chemical composition are B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6. They are useful for forming red blood cells and white blood cells, which are formed elements of the blood that are involved in the transport of oxygen, and help fight possible infections. When pregnant women consume these vitamins, they help with the formation of the nervous system of your baby.
This vitamin is essential in the formation of the spinal cord and the brain, as well as as to avoid neural tube defects in the baby. Watermelon has acceptable amounts of folic acid in its composition, so it is very useful to consume.
Benefits of watermelon in pregnancy
The benefits of eating watermelon in pregnancy are countless, because this fruit is a true vitamin and mineral bomb, best of all, the baby you will also take advantage of to the maximum of its components, below we mention some of them:
- It has high water content with low caloric intake , which will help you hydrate without adding calories to your diet, which is good for keeping your weight within normal limits.
- It has a high fiber content , which helps regulate episodes of constipation that are frequent in pregnant women.
- Thanks to its chemical composition it tends to produce a feeling of fullness in the body, which is useful because it prevents pregnant women from consuming larger amounts of food than the needed.
- Helps to control nausea episodes , due to the fact that a state of satiety is achieved without the need to eat large amounts of food, which allows adequate gastric emptying and less syncytial ; stomach symptoms.
- It is efficient to increase energy levels , due to its high content of vitamin B6 and magnesium, which together help the body to stay active throughout the day, avoiding episodes of fatigue and tiredness typical of pregnancy.
- Improves kidney function thanks to its diuretic effect , helps reduce episodes of retention of body fluids, especially in the legs.
- Contributes to bone health due to its high content of phosphorus and magnesium, which helps in the formation of tissues in the baby.
- Contributes to cardiovascular health thanks to its citrulline content, a compound that is transformed into arginine and allows arteries and blood vessels to remain elastic and healthy, helping with blood flow and promoting cardiac function.
Consequences of eating a lot of watermelon in pregnancy
Watermelon is a fruit that has a low caloric intake, but with a high glycemic index, this means that if consumed in excess, it can result in the levels of glucose increase in the blood , especially if the pace of life is calm and physical activity is not performed regularly. There are established calculations about the glycemic value of watermelon, which is 72, a high value for people with diabetes mellitus. For this reason, pregnant women should consume it in moderation, without adding sugar or honey as a sweetener.
Watermelon favors the elimination of liquids and toxic substances from the body, being an excellent diuretic and purifier, but if consumed in excess it can promote dehydration in pregnancy, which is not favorable for either the mother or the baby.
Watermelon has a satiating effect due to its high water content, which can reduce the amount of food consumed, this is good for people who want to lose weight, but in pregnant women this action n is not so beneficial, for this reason it should not be consumed in large quantities.
Do you want to know what? What should a pregnant woman not eat? Check out this article on Prohibited foods in pregnancy and why.
If you want to read more articles similar to Can you eat watermelon in pregnancy? , we recommend that you enter our category of Tips for pregnant women.
We hope you have achieved every piece of information concerning: watermelon during pregnancy. Keep your feedback and show your impressions and opinions related to: watermelon during pregnancy. We are usually available to answer all your questions in relation to carrying a child, healthy and balanced eating and also diets. Stay with us!