For anyone who is mothers-to-be and you actually are interested in the thought: watermelon juice benefits during pregnancy. You will see lots of helpful facts on this topic, as well as tips, assistance, thoughts, and answers in order to questions concerning being pregnant, appropriate nutrition and diet plans.
Don’t you love eating watermelons? Wondering if it is safe to eat watermelon while pregnant? Are you worried that eating a juicy watermelon could harm your baby inside? If this sounds like you, read our post. Here’s how watermelons affect you during pregnancy.
Health benefits of eating watermelon during pregnancy
Most doctors will tell you that it is good to have watermelons while you are pregnant as it is packed with nutrients. Here are some surprising health benefits of watermelon during pregnancy:
1. Relieves heartburn:
Pregnant women commonly suffer from digestive problems like heartburn and heartburn. Watermelon alleviates these problems by calming the food pipe and stomach. It will provide instant relief from heartburn.
(Read: Home remedies to treat heartburn during pregnancy )
2. Reduces swelling:
Mild swelling in the hands and feet or edema is common during pregnancy. The high water content present in watermelon reduces blockages in the veins and muscles, therefore, it treats edema.
3. Relieves morning sickness:
Drinking a glass of fresh watermelon juice early in the morning is an excellent idea during pregnancy. Watermelon provides a relaxing and refreshing experience throughout the day. The energizing and nutritional properties of watermelon also help relieve morning sickness.
4. Treat dehydration:
Dehydration leads to premature contractions and leads to premature labor. Pregnant women should drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration. Watermelon is about 90% water and eating it is a great way to avoid dehydration.
(Read: Benefits of coconut water during pregnancy )
5. Relieves muscle cramps:
The body of a pregnant woman undergoes many changes. Weight gain and fluctuating hormones can cause muscle and bone pain. The inclusion of watermelon in any form helps the body to cope with and relieve muscle cramps.
6. Prevents pigmentation:
Pigmentation is a common skin problem during pregnancy. It takes away the joy of pregnancy. Watermelon plays a key role in preventing the condition. Watermelon promotes easy digestion and keeps bowel movements soft. This in turn affects the texture of the skin. It shines and looks beautiful.
7. Diuretic and detoxifying effects:
Watermelon has diuretic properties. Helps remove harmful toxins from the body. It stimulates kidney function, purifies the liver and reduces uric acid levels in the blood.
8. Increases energy levels:
Watermelon contains a rich amount of minerals such as potassium and magnesium, vitamins such as A, B1 and B6. These nutrients are natural energy enhancers, thus providing great energy for the body. They are also helpful for your baby’s vision, immune system and nervous system development.
9. Prevents preeclampsia:
Watermelon contains high levels of lycopene that help reduce the risks of pre-eclampsia during pregnancy. It is a condition that can cause serious effects for both you and your baby. Eating a lot of fruit in any form decreases the chance of having a baby with an intrauterine growth retardation.
Are there any side effects of eating watermelon while pregnant?
Along with the above health benefits, watermelon also causes some side effects if taken in excessive amounts. Anything more than subtle amounts is not good during pregnancy. They are as follows:
1. Gestational diabetes:
Excessive consumption of watermelon increases blood glucose levels, causing gestational diabetes.
2. Excessive cleaning:
Watermelon keeps all internal organs in a healthy condition by removing toxins from the body. In this process, you can also remove some of the essential nutrients if taken in excess.
3. Gastric problems:
Avoid eating a watermelon that is kept open for a long time, as it can lead to nausea, vomiting, and gastrointestinal problems. Always choose to have freshly cut fruit or juice.
As with any food you eat during pregnancy, it is important to check with your doctor first. If your doctor tells you that it is safe for you to eat watermelon while pregnant, go ahead and try these delicious watermelon recipes.
(Read: Melon during pregnancy )
Easy recipes that include watermelon
Here are some refreshing and easy recipes that include watermelon:
1. Three melon smoothie:
- 2 cups of watermelon seeded and cubed
- 1 cup diced watermelon
- 1 cup of cantaloupe melon in cubes
- cup of lemon juice or lemon soda
- Place all the ingredients in the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
2. Avocado, watermelon and spinach salad:
- 2 large avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar salad dressing check with your doctor first, ask for a safe pregnancy alternative
- Combine all the fruits and spinach leaves in a bowl and mix.
- Add the dressing just before serving the salad.
(Read: Nutritious fruits to eat during pregnancy )
3. Watermelon and tomato sauce:
- 1 cup of chopped red onion
- 1 tomato, chopped and seedless
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper according to taste.
- Combine the red onion, watermelon, cantaloupe, jalapeno pepper, tomato, cilantro, and lime juice in a large bowl.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Store in the refrigerator for at least four hours to cool before eating.
4. Spicy watermelon:
- teaspoon of salt or according to taste
- 2 cups of watermelon in cubes and without seeds
- Combine cumin, chili powder, coriander, cayenne pepper, and salt in a bowl.
- Put the watermelon in the bowls. Sprinkle with the spicy mixture. Squeeze the lime juice just before eating. You can chill it in the refrigerator first if you like.
(Read: Eating jackfruit during pregnancy )
5. Watermelon sorbet:
- 4 cups of watermelon diced and seeded
- A little unflavored gelatin, ask your doctor if you can use it during pregnancy
- 1 cup of cold heavy cream
- Combine the watermelon, sugar, salt, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Stir them to coat the watermelons properly. Use plastic wrap to cover the bowl and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Once the time is up, take it out of the fridge and blend in a blender. Make sure to make a smooth paste. Now pour it back into the bowl.
- Put the cold water in a saucepan. Add the gelatin to the cold water and let it sit for about a minute. Now put the saucepan over low heat and cook for about two minutes. Keep stirring. Now add the gelatin mixture to the watermelon mixture that you mixed earlier. Add heavy cream and beat everything together to get a smooth consistency. Make sure the mixture is fluffy.
- Place the mixture in an ice cream maker and freeze as long as needed according to the gelatin directions. You can also check if it reaches a smooth consistency to serve. Once the consistency is perfect, take it out and place the ice cream in a plastic container with a lid and let it sit in the freezer overnight.
6. Watermelon and strawberry lemonade:
- 8 cups of watermelon in cubes and without seeds
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries and halves
- Mix all ingredients together and blend in a food processor until smooth.
- Let the mixture cool in the fridge before consuming it.
(Read: Benefits of kiwi fruits during pregnancy )
7. Cucumber and watermelon salad:
- 6 cups of watermelon in cubes and without seeds
- 4 cups diced cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon of salt or according to taste
- cup of balsamic vinegar, be sure to check with your doctor if you can take it during pregnancy
- In a large bowl, place the watermelon and cucumber cubes.
- Now add the salt and sugar. Lightly drizzle the balsamic vinegar and toss the mixture so that everything is well coated.
- Let it rest in the fridge for about 15 minutes to cool properly.Take it out once the time is up and toss it out one more time before serving.
Tips for including watermelon:
- You can easily make a delicious watermelon sorbet by mixing watermelon chunks, ice and keeping it in the freezer for a while.
- It can be combined with salty foods for an excellent flavor. For example, fill watermelon chunks with cheddar cheese for a perfect appetizer.
- You can also consume the white rind, as it is used as a vegetable in some places. It can be pickled or sautéed.
Like everything you eat when you’re pregnant, make sure you have your doctor’s approval before preparing any of these dishes. Tell us which one was your favorite, or tell us about your watermelon recipe here. Tell us if you know of other benefits of watermelon in pregnancy with other mothers here.
Comments are moderated by MomJunction’s editorial team to remove any personal, abusive, promotional, provocative or irrelevant comments. We can also remove hyperlinks in comments.
The next two tabs change the content below. Momjunction Momjunction FaceBook Pinterest Twitter Incnut
We hope you have received all the information concerning: watermelon juice benefits during pregnancy. Keep your comments and show your impressions and ideas concerning: watermelon juice benefits during pregnancy. We are always ready to answer all your questions about pregnancy, healthy and balanced eating and diets. Stay with us!